Winter is all about spiced lattes in the morning and spiced wine in the evening. Mulled wine is the perfect winter warmer so our Chief Booze Engineer has put together a delicious recipe exclusively for you to enjoy. Get those slippers on, switch on Miracle on 34th Street and enjoy the sweet flavours and smells of cinnamon and nutmeg infused wine.
1 bottle of red wine
100g demerara sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
50g dried raisins
1 bramley apple (halved)
2 clove spiked oranges
1 dried bay leaf
60ml/2fl gin, cognac or rum (optional)
1) Put all the wine in a large saucepan with all the other ingredients and spices.
2) Simmer for an hour and a half until the sugar has dissolved. Make sure the saucepan is not too hot so you don't cook off any alcohol.
3) What, not boozy enough? No problem, pimp it out with a shot of cognac, dark rum or gin.
4) Serve in punch cups, tea cups, crunk cups ... whatever floats your boat. Garnish with orange and a cinnamon twig.
4) Strain into heatproof glasses and enjoy!
"Nah I'm driving?" Respect is due. Swap out the red wine with cranberry and/or red grape juice. Just as delish but 100% booze free.
"I don't like figs, sugar, honey, red wine, spices, cranberry, rum or any of that stuff." Errrrr ..... mulled wine ain't for you then, champ. Move to Australia for December. The rest of you, enjoy.
Patrick Chief Booze Engineer xx